Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Six

I started going to the gym a few months ago. Not to lose weight. Not to train for anything spectacular. Not to firm up my butt (okay...to firm up my butt) or tighten my abs (okay...to tighten my abs).

I went to the gym to get strong. Like, the girl who can do a pull-up strong.

I have always been pretty athletic. In middle school and junior high I played on three basketball teams, three soccer teams, two softball teams and a baseball team...every year. In high school, I played basketball and soccer. Of course, while I was busy being a drug addict, I didn't do much of anything, but when I got clean, I started going to the gym and jogging. I was a landscaper for years, doing heavy lifting and stuff, and most recently, I did Aikido.

I am tall...5'9" and I weigh in at around 135 pounds, which is considered a healthy weight for my height.

But, despite being in decent shape, I can't do a single pull-up. And a few months ago, I couldn't do a single push-up.

So I started going to the gym. I go every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On Monday, I work my chest, shoulders and triceps. On Wednesday I do legs and abs. On Friday I do my back, biceps and forearms.

For the first couple of months I did girl push-ups...y'know, the kind where your knees are on the ground? Eventually, I could kinda do one.

Well...today, I did SIX!!!

Now, if I could just do one pull-up...

4 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

Kick ass on six! Before you know it, you'll be doing that pull up. I can't do one, either, and need to work on that whole strength thing, and I definitely need to work on improving my flexibility. It really waxes and wanes for me, and lately, I've been on the waning side.

scargosun said...

You totally rock!

A.C. said...

Thanks! You gals rock, too :)

Badass Geek said...

Six, eh?

Thats about eight more than I can do. I am so out of shape, my physical ability to do any exercise is measured in negative numbers.