Monday, July 21, 2008

Weekend Fun

I had a great weekend with my father, once A.J. and I stopped having a blowout fight over absolutely freaking nothing. We spent Friday night at my aunt's house with my dad, his cousin and my cousin and her kids. My aunt lives in a rural upper-middle class town and her house is gorgeous. It was made from lumber that came from a really old house and was totally rebuilt, so it has exposed beams and beautiful wood floors and it smells old, but in a good way. My aunt is not only a great interior decorator, but also an awesome gardener and her yard is beautifully landscaped with big, wild gardens, stone walls and a small fountain and bird bath here or there. The stones that make up the stone walls have little fossils embedded in them and seeing as fossils are my love and hobby and dream, I had a blast studying them closely and showing off my fossil knowledge to my father, who I'm eventually going to hit up for some tuition money.

We had drinks (when I say we, I mean everyone but me) and dinner and played Apples to Apples, which is, hands-down, the best game evah. I won (that's not important, but I really want it recorded somewhere).

I really don't visit my family much, though my aunt lives within 30 minutes from my home and my cousins within 10. I think I'm going to make an effort to do it more often.

2 comments:

Badass Geek said...

My parents home smells old, too.

And I like it that way.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so, you're making me want to come visit that house. Stop it! "Smells old, but in a good way" "wild gardens" "stone wall w/ fossils"

Wonderful, endearing descriptions.