Sunday, August 3, 2008

I swear...

this blog isn't going to only be about my cat. Of course, I have been known to litter my blogs with cat posts because, well, my cats are awesome and part of my little family here.

EC took a turn for the worse over the weekend, but things are looking semi-up right now. When I took her in on Saturday morning, she hadn't eaten for two days (again) and had started peeing blood. She was in the litter box every ten minutes and throwing up every night. Because she was straining to pee, she was also crapping on herself. When we got to the vet, AJ was holding her in his lap and a woman sitting nearby asked "Oh! Is that a little kitten."

No, it's a dying cat, lady.

EC now weighs 6 pounds. She has lost 1/4 of her body weight in a month.

The vet said that this weekend would be a good indicator of how to proceed. If EC gets better, then we play things by ear. If not, we consider euthanizing her. She gave EC some anti-nausea stuff, sub-cutaneous fluids and an appetite stimulant. EC didn't react well to any of those things so last night, we started "assist feeding" her, which is a nice way of saying "we started to force food into her mouth."

I really really didn't want to force EC to eat, so AJ jumped right in and did it for me. A few hours later, EC was doing very well and hadn't thrown up. She even ate a bit on her own. Still, if we wait too long to feed her, she seems to forget that she wants to eat. So, as it stands, we have a cat that isn't sick enough to euthanize (yay!), but a cat that is still too sick to eat by herself. I just finished giving her another couple of syringes full of food, so she's sulking in the corner.

Here's AJ and EC, just after AJ "assisted" EC in eating:



3 comments:

scargosun said...

EC looks sleepy and irritated at the same time; like he want's to scratch your eyes out for force feeding him but it isn't worth the energy.

for a different kind of girl said...

Hope this week brings some positive changes with EC.

Badass Geek said...

Give her a hug, and a scratch behind the ears for me.